Thursday, February 21, 2013

Cycle 2: Day 1: The "Before" Picture

Despite the fact that I haven't been a complete saint on this diet, I am quite proud of how much I have accomplished. I am now taking meals daily with me to work, which has proven to be 100% effective in avoiding late night binges. I am cooking almost daily, utilizing fresh produce, and am back to taking my multi-vitamin on a daily basis. I am fortunate that I have a job that is far from sedentary- most shifts I am moving quickly with no breaks for up to 14 hours. If it weren't for that extra caloric expenditure, I am sure that my moment of clarity (to get on a diet!)  would have arrived at a moment more serious than barely being able to squeeze into my size 6 jeans.

I also recall two years ago, when I had a surgical procedure that involved remaining off my feet for two weeks. Before that time, I had numerous photo shoots for modeling, and remaining in great shape was literally part of the job. I took some time off from the shoots due to the surgery, and also made the change from bartending to serving for a few months. I burned far fewer calories serving, and what turned into a two months without exercise resulted in a 10+ pound weight gain. At the heaviest, it may have been fifteen.

A few months later, I began bartending again, and within a week I was down five pounds. But because I was in front of the camera less, the few extra pounds that remained I wasn't very conscious of. It wasn't until the following spring, when I had to prepare for a few more photo shoots, that I realized I had yet to get back to pre-surgery shape.

I have been very blessed with some amazing modeling and acting opportunities, the most recent national catalog shoot being a year ago. I have other career aspirations that I am working toward, but this diet has made me motivated to get back to the shape I was in when I was always swimsuit ready. Not as much for the way I looked, but the way I felt. Confident, happy, energetic. It's crazy what a few pounds due to an unhealthy lifestyle can do to both your energy levels and your psyche.

My official "before" picture:




This is from a few years ago...this is my goal for my "after" picture:


Photo Credit: JMT Photography

Yes, I'm sure this had a touch of Photoshop- but my abs really did look like that. It's strange, but seeing that picture is more than enough motivation to to work on getting them back!

Being healthy is my main objective on this diet. I'm actually a big fan of curves- aka Marilyn Monroe style.I was born with the body style predisposed for curves, which has been a blessing and a curse. I've never wanted to be model-skinny, just toned and in shape. I actually lose weight in my bra and butt first, so I have to balance my weight training, cardio and diet carefully to keep the curves I have. I've heard many trainers say "It's 90% diet," and I believe it. I have maintained a regular workout routine through the years, but my off-kilter eating habits prevented me from staying in optimal shape.

For Cycle 2 I am back to my full-speed workout routine. I will include it in this blog in case anyone wants to follow along. I adore barre workouts, and also will be doing some Zumba as well. 

To prepare for this new cycle, I prepared a large amount of brown rice and beans. I have a feeling those will be my staples for the natural starches.

Exercise:

Tracey Mallett Functional Intensity Training

This is a killer workout! It involves 3 25-minute workouts, able to be done separately or combined for a very intense workout. I am starting today with the first workout, Total Ripped Body. This is the first of Tracey's DVD's I have bought that is not in her actual Barre series, and I absolutely love it! I appreciate the fact that there are cardio intervals built into the work out, so I have both strength training and cardio in one short but challenging 25-minute routine. And it's FUN! I like high energy, no-boredom routines, and this DVD delivers.




Breakfast:

Boiled Egg
6 strawberries

Snack:

Dannon LIght & Fit Yogurt

Lunch

"Chinese" Steak & Broccoli Stir Fry with Brown Rice



This is my new favorite recipe! I found the original at the Rainy Day Gal website (be sure to check it out!). I made some adjustments to accommodate Cycle 2.

Snack:

1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese

Dinner

Spicy Chicken Vegetable Soup


No comments:

Post a Comment