Wednesday, February 13, 2013

C1: Day 13

I have bad news, and good news. The bad news: I made a conscious decision to "cheat" yesterday. Some friends were going out for happy hour, and considering I had restrained myself for two weeks, I decided I deserved a light binge. The "good" news: two beers and one small loaded chicken nachos later, I had a splitting headache and and a seriously distressed stomach. It's as if the diet gods needed a good laugh at the fact that I thought I could get away unscathed. The irony is that I was craving fish and fresh food, but I felt I needed to do happy hour right, and eating fish or other fresh food were not options.

 You can see from this experience the core of the issue with my eating habits (from what I have learned from nutritionists and health magazines): I am a binge eater. I also view food as a reward, as I adore food (and beer...and cocktails- I work in a restaurant for a reason!). I am a sort of an emotional eater. I do not need to eat to be happy, but food makes me happy, period. Good food makes me very, very happy! Fortunately, my work schedule and workout routines prevented repercussions for my love of food. Until recently. At least I can accept my shortfalls and use this diet to get back on track!

 To prevent future catastrophe, I have arrived at a compromise with my less steadfast, food-craving alter ego. Because I have made great progress and am so close to my goal weight, I will allow myself one small meal off the diet per week. I am foregoing the word "cheat" altogether, as I feel that is part of the culprit as I feel like I have to eat something terrible, even though my body is craving something reasonable.

I feel this is a good plan as it will keep me motivated on the diet, and I will be able to continue with cycle 2 (and 3) without skipping to Cycle 4. I realize Dr. Moreno recommends skipping to Cycle 4 once the goal weight is achieved, but I believe I will prolong that process by adding that cheat meal. Sure, it sounds counterintuitive, most would want to lose the weight more quickly. But I would rather win the race slow and steady while reinstilling healthy, lifelong eating habits.

 On to my day!

Breakfast:





Snack:

Yoplait 100 Calorie Greek Yogurt
1 serving fresh blueberries


Lunch:




Snack:

1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese


Dinner:

Blackened Tilapia with Sauteed Kale

No comments:

Post a Comment