Friday, February 1, 2013

C1: Day 4

It is a popular opinion that it takes 21 days to form a new habit. There are many scientific studies to back this up, and the research makes sense. So it comes with a bit of surprise that only 4 days into my new diet, I feel like I have been following it forever- in a good way. I can't remember how I ate before, and I have to wonder why I hadn't changed my eating habits dramatically much sooner!

Many health experts say that knowledge is the best tool to eating healthy. Not so, in my case. I have long known what I should be eating, how much of it I need, and how often. It is simply due to a lack of commitment and willpower to follow through. I have steered away from the various fad diets through the years, opting for low-calorie, high protein food choices, paying attention to portion size and snacking regularly to prevent my hunger reaching a near-starvation point. The past few months I abandoned those principles, and I believe I have made the best choice possible to get back on track with this diet.

One of Dr. Moreno's best tips in his book is to follow the "hunger meter". It essentially advises that you do not allow yourself to reach a state of being "very hungry", which I have ignored the past several months. Very hungry, in his words, is a 2 out of a 1-2 scale (one being moderately hungry, 2 being very hungry) on his "hunger meter". For myself, working 12-14 hours behind a bar has led to some awful scenarios of extreme binge eating, as I had reached a level of hunger that led me to make very poor food choices. But I also made the same mistake during the daytime. I would skip breakfast, run errands for hours, then gorge myself at 4 PM to make up for the two missed meals.

I know myself. I have very little self control when it comes to food. Once I am a "2", all elements of reason go out the window. Yes, the principle of eating frequently to avoid being very hungry is a simple one, but much easier said than done. Having made the effort to take healthy snacks and meals with me at all times, going on four days, I have yet to come close to a "2". On the flip side, Dr. Moreno also has a "fullness meter", and it applies the same principle: stop eating before reaching a 2. This is easy to follow when you never reach a "2" in hunger, however on cheat days  in the past I have been extremely guilty of far exceeding that "2".

Besides feeling refreshed and healthy, I discovered another perk of this diet on my scale today. Down 5 pounds! My overall goal is to lose 15, so this is a great start. I also ordered this Victoria's Secret swimsuit as a reward for completing cycle 1 successfully (yes, premature, I know-but that's how confident I am!). And, how incredibly inspiring is her body? If I look at this picture every day, no chance I will go awry!





Here we go with today's meals...

Breakfast:




Snack:

Yoplait 100 Calorie Greek Yogurt (Peach)


Lunch:





Snack:

1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese
5 Strawberries


Dinner:






Day 4, done! Now it's time to find more recipes. At work I do not have a microwave, therefore all food I bring with me must be eaten cold. The chicken soup and eggplant parmesan taste fine, but not so much with chicken dishes. I think I will try to find a good C1 Cauliflower Soup. A gazpacho could be great as well! Stay tuned...





No comments:

Post a Comment