Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Introduction: Day 0


You can call me somewhat of a fitness and health fanatic. From the time I was 11 years old, I had designed elaborate workout routines, (complete with hand drawn illustrations) that I followed diligently. I still remember the Christmas when I was 12, when I unwrapped a digital calorie counter. Most preteens likely would not have had the same ecstatic reaction as myself, yet I had placed the JCPenney’s product at the top of my wish list. For months I remained committed to plugging in the code of every meal I ate, and every night I would review the averages of my caloric intake, as well as the fat, saturated fat, and every other imaginable nutrition fact the mini machine had tracked for me. I was a bit on the obsessed side, however as months progressed, the little computer was left in my closet, but by then I had programmed myself to eat healthfully and exercise regularly.

Fast forward 17 years. At the age of 29, I still have a bit of a love affair with exercise, both the activity itself as well as learning and discovering new workouts and routines. Yet when it comes to my diet, my ability to remain sensible with what I eat has decreased immensely. There are two culprits. Number one, I am a foodie. The good news here is that I do not enjoy fast food or most junk food. Until a few months ago, I would eat healthy 6 days a week, and have a “cheat day”. For me, a cheat day entails a nice meal out, or a fancy cheese and meat plate at my home.  For true junk food, I do adore nachos and pizza. My one cheat day a week has slowly but surely increased to 2 or 3, mostly due to the second reason my  willpower has decreased:  bartending.  Up until a few months ago,  I tended bar in restaurants that  would close between 11PM-midnight on weekdays, meaning I only would be home after 3AM on weekends. Also, the shifts were fairly short (about 8 hours). At my new job, a fine dining grill room and roof top bar, I now work very late nights and long hours (12+ per shift, often finding myself walking in my door just shy of 5AM on the weekends). Sneaking off for a healthy snack during a shift is not an option.  On the plus side, my bartending shifts are physically vigorous, therefore my recent downgrading in my sensible eating has not resulted in extra pounds (as of yet.) However, for preventative purposes, I know I must change my eating habits now to discourage my path down the slippery slope of eating more and working out less.


Enter the 17 Day Diet. Having heard and read a large number of glowing reviews, I decided this would be the best bet to get me back in gear. It’s also not extremely strict like many other diets out there. I have not actually been on a traditional diet, except for the few dozen crash diets I did before swimsuit photo shoots (unhealthy, I know..The things you do in your early 20’s!) I have always set my own guidelines, kept food journals, outlined my workouts, and been successful in staying healthy and in shape. I found that the general thesis of this diet worked well as it contains largely the foods I already eat and enjoy (salads, fish, vegetables) and would be a good incentive to keep me on track. I also get bored (very) easily, and having four 17-day cycles is much more motivating than one long one.

This diet is written by Dr. Mike Moreno. His writing style is very natural and easy to read.- I found the 344 page book articulate and engaging. A very condensed outline of the 17 Day Diet is as follows. There are four 17-day cycles, beginning with Cycle 1: Accelerate. This cycle is designed for rapid weight loss to add motivation and desire to continue on to the following cycles. This cycle is also designed to cleans your body of toxins, and give you energy by ridding your body of food that is not good for it. On the Accelerate Cycle, you are allowed to eat all you like of lean protein in the forms of lean turkey, chicken and select fish. You are also allowed to eat an unlimited amount of a variety of non-starchy vegetables (listed in the book), limited dairy, and low-sugar fruits. There are no processed foods and no sugar allowed. You may enjoy very limited carbs (in the form of 2 servings of low-sugar fruit),  only you must enjoy fruit before 2PM. You are allowed two servings of probiotics (such as yogurt), and two servings of healthy fat (olive oil or flaxseed oil). You are encouraged to drink 64 ounces of water a day, plus 3 cups of green tea.  In the Accelerate cycle, you only eat 1200 calories a day- therefore it is suggested you only engage in light exercise 17 minutes a day. The book promises up to a 10-15 pound weight loss during the first cycle.

Days 18-34: Cycle 2:  Activate continues with the same guidelines introduced in cycle 1, yet adds 2 servings of healthy carbs to your diet plan. In this cycle, you alternate between high-calorie and low-calorie days, to increase fat burning by causing "metabolic confusion.". You also limit your daily fat serving intake to 1 (the first cycle you are allowed two). Approximate daily caloric intake: 1500.

Days 35-51: Cycle 3: Achieve is the same as the second cycle, however lean protein is no longer unlimited. Additional grains and fruit are added, and one alcoholic beverage is now allowed per day (yay!).

Days 52 +: Cycle 4: Arrive is the maintenance portion of the plan. At the time you arrive at your goal weight, you are allowed to jump directly to this cycle. In the last cycle, more of your favorite foods (read: carbs) are allowed, and you are even given the option to splurge on the weekends (within reason.) If you gain weight in this cycle, it is advised to return to cycle 2, or for those that stray far off the path, return back to cycle 1.

The book itself contains recipes relevant to each cycle, however I found myself scrolling through hundreds of 17 Day Diet recipes on various blogs, websites, Facebook, and Pinterest. I will include the recipes I eat during my journey. I am not the world's best cook, so I will aim to choose recipes that feature simplicity and low-prep time.

 Today is Day 0.

The diet starts tomorrow! I am actually eager to begin this plan. I am spending a good bit of time researching recipes and planning out the entire 17 days, so I am never caught unprepared. The book does outline a 17 day meal plan with recipes for this cycle, however I have found some more fun and interesting recipes online. My main concern is keeping a low prep time, due to my schedule. Also I need versatile meals that I can take with me to work (and eat as I’m cleaning the bar at 4AM!)

I will be taking some before pics, weight and measurements to keep me motivated. In lieu of writing in the journal portion of the book, I will track my meals and progress on this blog each day. I am also excited to engage with other 17-Day dieters online, particularly on Twitter. This should be fun!

Here we go to the next (four cycles of) 17 Days!

No comments:

Post a Comment