Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Cycle 1: Day 1


Having packed my fridge full of the 17 Day Diet approved items and a complete cycle's worth of recipes planned out on my laptop, I am feeling fairly confident. I know the key to success for this diet is to plan ahead, and never be caught without a healthy snack or meal when I'm on the go (particularly at work.) Thanks to Pinterest, Spark People, and other internet resources, I have found a large collection of tasty recipes and innovative tricks to help make this diet flow smoothly. I am waiting a few hours into my first day to complete the weight and measurements. Once I planned on starting this diet a couple weeks ago, let's just say I let loose a bit. Beer, nachos, even fried chicken (which I haven't had in years!) have been part of my pre-diet finale the past few days. The binge eating worked, as the junk food overload has done nothing but increase my desire to eat healthfully. I won't lie, during the first two cycles it will be hard turning down the occasional high gravity beer, glass of Shiraz or Fireball shot, but when it comes to food, I'm 100% on board. (Note to readers: I am not an alcoholic. I just enjoy wine, beer, and cocktails. Very much). Also, living on the water in the south, the impending beach (read: bikini) season is only weeks away. The timing of this diet could not be better. Once the four cycles are completed, I will be celebrating my 30th birthday on a European tour (Rome, London, Marseille, Paris), during which the 17 Day Diet will cease to exist. Sorry, Dr. Moreno (on a diet in Italy??? France?? What sane person could do that? Thank goodness I don't travel abroad often.) Once I return from overseas (17 days) I will likely go back on Cycle 1 for a quick jolt back to reality.

Did I mention I like to plan ahead? Now, back to Day 1.

Breakfast:

3 Egg Whites, scrambled
Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes
Jalapeno Powder

1 Yoplait Strawberry Greek Yogurt (100 calories)



Hot Water with Lemon

Snack:

1/2 cup 2% Cottage Cheese and 5 Strawberries

Lunch:

6 oz Blackened baked Tilapia over mixed greens ( I added jalapeno powder and cayenne pepper to the fillet before cooking, then I baked the fish in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees)
3 oz Balsamic Vinegar
1 oz Olive Oil

Dinner:

Baked chicken breast with sauteed spinach



Day one conclusion: Success! I met all the criteria of the diet: 8 cups of water, 3 servings of green tea, 2 servings of fats, 2 servings of fruit before 2PM, 2 servings of probiotics. And I only enjoyed 17-day-diet friendly fish and veggies. I spent a couple hours in the grocery store, during which I felt a little bit light headed, due to lack of calories. To prevent this, I am packing little mini-snack bags of carrots and cucumber slices to take with me every time I leave the house. Also, I spent two hours tonight preparing meals for the next several days. I feel very accomplished as two hours is more time in the kitchen than probably the past 6 months combined, and all the dishes looked quite delicious! Tomorrow I will post pictures and share the recipes (if they taste as good as they look!). Only minor drawbacks: I went a bit overboard at the grocery store, and my refrigerator is now packed so full it is (literally) a safety hazard! I opened the fridge carefully a few minutes ago, and an entire pint of sour cream lunged at me and is now covering the walls and floor. I'll give it a minute to settle.





1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the recipes! I'm new to dieting and have never done it my life.. but I had a car accident and gained some extra weight that I need to loose. Quick Questions? If I'm hungry can I eat just vegetables, and dips prepared as part of my challenge? Are you allowed to eat breakfast prepared meals for dinner without the fruit?

    ReplyDelete